Sunday, December 31, 2006

Trip to La Jolla


We went on our usual Holiday trip to see my husband's brother and his wife, and we decided to meet in La Jolla this time, since it is so beautiful there, and they like it, too, and it's not too far from their home. I asked for some time near the ocean to do some outdoor painting, and I got to paint for about three hours, until it got too chilly and we had to leave.



I couldn't get to it, but there was a sea cave and hollowed out rocks down below, when the tide came in the water was swirling in it, I really wanted to go down there, but instead I watched the children, they loved it, some of them were at least 30 or 40, lol!

The sea cliffs were so polished by the waves that the harder stones looked like seal shapes lying on the rocks by the ocean. This is one of the few areas that has a rocky coast instead of sandy beaches on the Southern California coast, and it's particularly gorgeous.

It's a nature preserve, too, and these pelicans were happily sunning themselves a few feet from all the children jumping up and down and pointing at them, and they seemed to pose for the cameras. Every once in a while they would take off, one after another, find a snack, and cruise back to perch in the sunshine.






The high tide came in and washed over the whole cove that the swimmers had been enjoying all day, in spite of temperatures in the high 50's or low 60's all day, and a brisk breeze off and on. They looked kind of blue, and I know the water was chilly. So gorgeous, I wish I could have spent more time there. B*B, Ysabeau

1 comment:

  1. Thank you gthank you thank you for the gorgeous photos!!!

    I will share them with Oscar, we both love the ocean. The coastline reminded me a little of Oni no gaji (Devil's Castle) in Japan (on the Kii peninsula)

    ReplyDelete