Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Oil painting class

This is the underpainting for a painting I'm working on right now, with people working together to rebuild a footbridge across a damaged ancient stone bridge crossing a fast river with rocks. It's further along, now, and I'm having some fun with the individual people holding the rope.

The big stone hand is being carved - just a hand (?!) by the sculptor they hired for the annual visiting artist program. Last year it was a wonderful painter, who did an oil figure study, but I'm not wild about the stone hand. It's just weird... they are saying it will be a statement, but I don't understand what kind.
I'm really enjoying my oil painting class, of course learning a lot, and getting a lot of time putting paint on canvas, so eventually I hope to develop some skills. So far, I've done a waterfall, this bridge still in process, a glacier in process, and one that I just put some color on, and left it to dry. I like the texture and adaptability of oil, but like everyone else, it's hard to be patient with the long drying time of 2 days to 7 days, depending on how much paint and which color and brand you are using. It's slow, but very interesting, and I want to work on glazing techniques to finish this bridge one, because I think it will really enhance the light in the picture. I am reading what I can find on oilpainting, but one thing I am already discovering - everyone has a different opinion about what to use, and how to use it. They don't agree about anything. The advantage of that, is that I can try different techniques and see what I like to use.
I'm hoping that I can just keep learning and playing with oils, acrylics, and watercolors and enjoy them for a long time.
B*B, Ysabeau

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:45 PM

    I like the new painting - can't wait to see what a layer or 2 of glaze will do to it!

    I also like the hand - but I think I like it because it reminds me of a small plaster hand I have. I cast Morgan's hand when she was very young with one of those kits, and it looks very similar to your photograph (sans the guy)

    :-D eirdre

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is that Bridge painting doing? Its image has been haunting me a bit!

    ReplyDelete