Monday, August 21, 2006

Back to School!


Today was the first day of classes, and I know I'm going to enjoy them. My watercolor class is short a few students, but the teacher is trying really hard to fill it, and we are all asking friends if they are interested, so I hope it will work out. I felt so excited about art class starting, I swear that I felt like I was in grade school again, in a good way. I hauled my stuff around in my new purple bag, which really helped me, but it was a little hard to get it in and out of the car, so I need to stay aware of the weight of anything I put in there. Lockers will be available Wednesday and that will help because I can put the heavier things in there so I don't have to bring them back and forth.

I got all carried away and started painting like mad, but it was really fun. I finished a small seascape, did a beginning layer of a woman's head and shoulders, wax resist and background on some pale flowers, and first layer of a balancing figure with ocean behind... just felt very free with color and layers. I like watercolor a lot, and I hope acrylics and oils turn out to be as interesting.

I've been making some other things, but I haven't been painting much this Summer, so it's very nice to have time set aside to paint again. It's not that I have so much talent, there are so many more talented people in the world, it's more that I just get a special kind of satisfaction from watching the colors move around on my paper, blending and feathering, and making something that is a unique expression - even if it's true that the picture I'm doing isn't very good, just ultimately going to be just a step towards improving, it's still something special to me.

So, I'm tired, and achy, and happy. B*B, Ysabeau

3 comments:

  1. Hurray! You can bet if I lived closer I'd be in class with yoU!!
    Your blog makes me itch to get painting again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ysabeau - can't wait to see what you come up with in class. Is the photo all your work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:33 PM

    Should be a great semester of creativity and learning. Paint me something pretty! :)

    -Susie

    ReplyDelete