Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Adventures in Oils

We went to Mother's, a local health food store, and I wanted to find some more amber perfume, since it's my favorite, and I was running out of the tiny bottle I had been streeeetching out for months. They had some that had a good fragrance, but it was very diluted, so you almost couldn't smell it, and a tiny bottle was about $15.

So, I had a thought, and I went to the incenses, and found a couple of chunks of amber resin, one "golden" amber, one "spicy" amber, for $3.99 each, and a pint bottle of expeller pressed almond oil. I got out my trusty mortar and pestle, and a few minutes later, voila! A full cup of very wonderful, concentrated perfume that will do me for at least a year, and I can use it as often as I like.

Funny how I don't think of these things until I can't find what I expect to find. B*B, Ysabeau

2 comments:

  1. Yum! You've inspired me to try and find one of my favorite scents. Oakmoss.
    P.S. I have some amber resin thingies to enclose with a package headed your way! (hint: time to cover those tootsies!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does it have to "steep" or do you strain it or just keep it there and continue to add oil occasionally? Glad you found a scent you like and can use. Since getting asthma - that is something I miss - but most scents do me in!

    ReplyDelete