Thursday, January 11, 2007

Going with the flow, creatively



Setting priorities and boundaries

I've been having the Winter break between classes, and I thought I'd get soooo much done! Well, I have gotten a lot done, but not even close to everything I hoped to do. I have done most of the highest priority and most urgent items, but still, if I had another whole month, or three, I still probably would not have it all done.

I've been trying to figure out why that is, and it seems that most of it is because every time I complete first priority items, either lower items move UP, or new ones are ADDED at the top of the list! So, rather than thinking it's all hopeless, and I'll never get it all done the way I want to, I have to come up with creative ways to cope with it. I have to think, WHAT are my goals, and WHY are they important? Then, I work towards a balance, so some housework, some creativity, some errands, and an occasional outing, and if I consistently remember to do the most important items FIRST, I should be pretty much ok. It helps to keep a sense of humor, and be flexible about which things I do depending on how much energy I have, so there is no way to be absolute about it.

I find it to be really difficult to have patience with myself, but the fact is, there is no reason to panic if I can't do it all, like I used to feel that I had to. That results in never feeling satisfied with what I did, never being able to value my creativity because it's not "perfect", and mentally putting myself down because I'm never really finished with all that I want to get done. Let's face it, a lot of what I do takes a lot of time and patience, and I enjoy doing it, but there are only so many hours in the day.

So, I need to be patient with myself, and work on balance, that's always a challenge for me.

B*B, Ysabeau

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:34 AM

    yes. it's always best to be kind to yourself. be at least as kind to yourself as you would be to someone else, right? -susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Ysabeau, thank you for this, you just gave me a handle on something I'm struggling with. When priorities shift, I sometimes just give up, but I like your way better :-}

    Off to keep knitting :-}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep coming back and looking at the art on this entry. I think I recognize the salt crystal effect on the ochre side, but how did you get the volcanoish cracks on the black?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to share something with you, I posted it on another place (writerswhoknit)
    I wrote:
    "A friend made a custom bag for me, its Very large and flat, and fits perfectly across my chest and belly as I use the wheelchair. It has pockets & cubbies everywhere, places especially made for my knitting, retractable lanyards for my keys, options I haven't even discovered yet. I can use it to carry my shopping, my knitting, and books home from the library. Best of all, Ysabeau is an artist, so its beautiful, with an ocean theme :-}"
    Their reply was:
    "Pockets! Too many bag makers don't realize the importance of pockets and cubbies. I hate it when all the stuff falls to the bottom of the bag and you can't find anything. Interestingly enough, I've found a diaper bag works well for a purse.

    I figure I have two days to talk myself out of buying a bag I don't really need. But I just don't think it's cool to carry my stuff around in those plastic grocery bags.

    How great it is that your friend custom made you such a beautiful AND useful bag. Those are friends to keep forever!"

    ReplyDelete