Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sutter's Gold roses and flowers inspiration




I love my little garden. I planted two Sutter's Gold rosebushes several years ago because I fell in love with the range of colors and their lovely scent, and they never dissapoint. The single fuschia hollyhocks are from "heritage" seeds, a friend brought them back from her great-aunt's yard in Boston, and they seem to be really adaptable. You wouldn't think they would do so well in Southern California, but they grow higher than the house walls and bloom all Summer. Whenever I'm feeling down, it always cheers me up to go outside and look at them, maybe paint a bit, cut a few to put in a vase, or just trim off old blooms. I love the way the rose blooms vary on the same bush, and the hollyhocks have mixed with the other seeds I got, so there are double fuschias, creamy white streaked with pink or fuschia, even dark burgundy streaked with fuschia in my yard, now. So pretty and "country garden" feeling. I grow herbs around the roses, and most of them bloom too, lavender, marjoram with tiny white blooms, rosemary with blue blossoms, and you can cook with them, too! B*B, Ysabeau

2 comments:

  1. Oh Ysabeau, I just know someday I'll manage to travel to California and have tea in your garden, how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the most beautiful flowers! I'm an absolute rose freak and they are gorgeous! Lots of inspiration, I imagine.

    I'm going to have to agree with Diana -- next time I'm in CA, I'm crashing in for tea!

    ReplyDelete