Friday, May 05, 2006

Getting ready for new media, mentally


Next Autumn, I intend to sign up for another watercolor class, but I'm also working up to trying the next media, which is acrylic painting. The class covers acrylics and even oils, but I want to try acrylics THEN work up to oils, so I'm expecting to have six hours of painting on Mondays and Wednesdays, instead of three hours each Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thurs. This is partly because parking is going to be a mess with the parking lots torn up, so less times parking is less stress and wandering around, and partly because I've been working myself up to trying Acrylics.

I have acrylics for fabric painting, so I'll play with those over the Summer, and sun printing, plus I invested in some "heavy body" acrylics to try, because they just look SO interesting. The heavy body acrylics can act like their own gesso, you get actual textures if you want, and they are great for palette knife work, which I really want to try.

The biggest problem is that I put obstacles in my own way when it comes to trying something new, so I have to sort of slip up on new things from the side. I have to get supplies, look at the unopened boxes and bottles for a while, read a bit about how it's done, watch somebody else do it or any related shows on tv, tell myself I can't possibly do it, tell myself "what's the worst that could happen if I try?", look at the stuff some more, and then put on some of my favorite music, make sure nobody can see me, and, and, and....
TRY IT!!!!!
whew!
Ysabeau

1 comment:

  1. I loved watercolor because of the way the paint would run on the paper and make pretty backgrounds for pen and ink drawings over top. Acrylics were fun because they dried fast! Oils were challenging because they did not dry fast. You will have a ball with all three methods. And yes, you have it right...just do it! Enjoy it! Let the colors flow and see what happens :)
    hugs from WalkerLady

    ReplyDelete