Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Right ankle train wreck

I have an ice pack on my ankle. I went out of the classroom today, ironically to leave a message for the disability office with my cell phone, and coming back in I hurt myself on the wooden object being used to prop the door open, because it blended in and I couldn't see it. I would have fallen all the way down, but caught myself on a nearby desk.

Of course, my right knee and ankle hurt, but I thought it wouldn't be too bad, and I was interested in the last class today, and the demo the teacher had arranged. Of course, it started swelling up, hurt worse than I expected as my pain meds wore off, and by that time they were filming the demo and I didn't want to interrupt. It escalated to a pain level 8 or 9, and I ended up clutching my ankle, tears running down my face a bit. As soon as it was over, I was given some ice in a bag, I had taken some more pain meds and they had started to work, and two students went to my car with me and carried my stuff.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe I should rethink something about my classes, but I know I can get hurt anytime this way... but somehow it's more embarrassing in a class full of people in their 20's, who don't have my issues at this stage in their lives.

The ankle will be ok in a few days, but the situation will come up again, and again, so what to do?

1 comment:

  1. If there's anything worse than receiving 'life lessons' maybe its serving as a life lesson to those 20-somethings. Hope our ank;e feels better soon, hon.

    ReplyDelete